News

Post 16 Options Evening

On Wednesday 2nd October, Soar Valley College hosted our annual Post 16 Options evening. The evening was a great success and was extremely well attended by our Year 11 students and their parents. Over 25 Post 16 providers from Leicester and Leicestershire took over our Sports Hall and Dining Hall to equip our students with information to help them prepare for their lives after Soar Valley.

Ammaarah (Year 11) commented, “I didn’t know how many Post 16 opportunities were available to me until I came to Post 16 evening. It was really good and I got a lot of useful information from it”.

Zainab (Year 11) also gave her account of the evening. “On Wednesday 3rd October, Year 11 students had an opportunity to attend a post 16 evening whereby various colleges, universities and apprentices attended and held stands, informing the students about available courses and qualification requirements. I attended this evening and overall, I achieved a great outcome. I had visited several colleges and spoke with staff that teach there, who provided me with information on the subjects I was interested in studying, including content as well as general advice on what subjects work typically well together. This, for me, was very useful, helping me to decide what colleges perhaps were in my interest to apply to, and what, maybe, would not be for me. In addition the Police were present to give career talks which benefited me as I am now aware of what paths I can take after college too, and how I could progress in a policing career, if I wanted to”.

Post 16

We were also very fortunate to welcome @TracyJPound, owner of IT Consultant in Tamworth, to deliver the first of this years’ Careers Talks. Tracy spoke with students about careers within Computer Science and the ever changing world of Technology. Tracy was voted one of the top 50 women in tech in the UK in 2014 and 2015. Her inspiring presentation was very well received by some of our enthusiastic Year 8’s.

( Back to News